WOW. Five thousand glimpses into miraged chasms of carefree emptiness that I sometimes wish were my actual mind. I kid. Sort of.
So here’s a long overdue thanks to tumblr and its inhabitants for my 5000th post. Sincerely, a heartfelt thanks goes to tumblr and YOU ALL for:
- Providing me with a genuine community of people to learn from and share with in all manner of disparate passions from shoegaze to coriander to feminist theory.
- The tumblr people that I’ve met IRL that I now count as great friends and those that I’d like to have the opportunity to spend more time with because first impressions certainly weren’t disappointing. Here I’d include the Australian crew like Grant, Kate, Simon, Tash, Chrissy, Nat, Josh, Tania, Chrissie, Albert, Nicole and Andrew…. etc. (you know who you are) and team USA like Max, Michael and Will.
- The tumblr people I’ve not met in IRL yet but know that we’d get on just splendidly if we did meet, like Cass, Nathania, Sean,Travis, Tallie, Shannon (next month maybe!), Frank and Danielle. Just knowing that potential is there is something special in itself, right?
- Connecting me in unexpected ways with people I already know, like Tim, Jeffrey, Amber and Tom, in such a way that we see aspects of each other’s lives which we perhaps don’t always have time to share with each other due to the oceans that separate us.
- Connecting me with great writers/thinkers many of whom do what they do on the side and yet still manage to astound the masses with their engaging styles of communication, even those of the usually TL;DR variety. Yes, I mean you Mills and other tumblr scribes with their own unique styles of delivery and content as you will find here and here for example. I’ve also recently started following Sady’s tumblr which is sharp yet endearing and as such a joy to read.
- Finally and perhaps most importantly to me, connecting me with people for whom music seems as central to their core as it is to mine and who share their thoughts about music from a place that let’s me know how it makes them feel and personally that’s what I want most from a music post or a music review for that matter. Sure you can be a fount of knowledge either from personal experience or gleaned from poring over records from times you may not have even been born and some of you are adept at that also, but what matters to me most is to get an essence of how it matters to you on a visceral level. In this category I’d put Britt, Andrew, Miles, Ben, Brad and Martin just for starters.
God that all sounds so naff. Right! Time to get posting something offensive to somebody, somewhere…